Thursday, April 12, 2012

An update on my health...

Trapped in a haze
It all began when I started collapsing randomly.  Shortly after that, the seizures, blackouts, and lapses into unconsciousness regularly came.  I was hospitalized and was diagnosed with "essential epilepsy" because they seriously could not figure out why any of that was happening when no tumors showed up and the ionic balance in my system was very normal. I was also popping 27 (not a typo) pills a day to somehow manage the symptoms, the most potent being Tegretol -- a drug that has a list of side effects as long as my arm.  The rationale behind it all was to basically sedate me because any kind of excitement in my nervous system could trigger seizures.

In that time, I suffered semi-permanent headaches, dizziness, and general weakness.  My friends also noticed that I was turning weirdly bipolar (I still deny this! Hahaha) and would often be confused about what I was doing.  I remember going out to the balcony right in the middle of dinner and my girlfriend asked me what I was doing.  I answered, "I'm going to pee" right before I was promptly dragged back in and led to the bathroom.

After several months of living like this with no discernable progress, it was clearly time for a second opinion.

The Second Opinion
I've heard many stories about how strict Dr. Liban was from a handful of medical and nursing students (Hi Ollie! Hi Kiff!).  Obviously, this meant that he took his job seriously.  With a little bit of prodding from my aunt and my parents, I reluctantly agreed to go to his office.  That first meeting changed everything.

Within a few months, he had taken away almost every drug that I was taking.  He also replaced the powerful Tegretol with Keppra and a week after my body adapted to the change, my strength started to return and the headaches were drastically reduced.  I was still very dizzy but at least I went down to 6 pills a day from 27.  It was at this time that we discovered that my balance mechanism was severely impaired.  We also did more tests on my brain and body to compare results with the first time I was hospitalized.  The results were interesting to say the least.

What Any of This Means
First, there is a tiny hole in my brain that was most likely caused by a cyst.  They can't tell for sure because, after further testing, whatever was in there has liquefied already.

Second, they discovered abnormalities in my MRI that indicate capillary telangiectasia, an anomaly in the blood vessels that supply my brain.

Put this information together and it basically means that my brain is not getting enough nutrients to function properly along with actual damage to the brain itself (the hole).  Whether or not the above findings are the real cause for my brain problems or leftovers from an earlier cause is now difficult to pinpoint because of how much time all of this has progressed already.  Needless to say, these findings have brought me a lot of relief because at the very least, my doctor has something concrete to work with, rather than looking for a solution via educated guesswork.

With this information in hand, my doctor was able to design a plan for recovery that has been very effective. Compared to the state of my health at this exact date last year (barely conscious, hypersensitive to sensation, permanently dizzy, massive headaches, seizures, etc.), I've made a lot of progress.

The Present
I just got back from the doctor and it was an encouraging checkup.  It's always nice to know that we're actually getting somewhere in figuring out how I can return to full health even if it means retraining my brain to compensate for my balance and dizziness through other means.  For the next two weeks, we'll be conducting tests everyday to screen for the possibility of "spinal ataxia" because it is possible that my slow progress may be impeded by the blood pressure (or lack thereof) in my spine.  This, of course, corroborates the previous findings where my brain is not being properly supplied by my blood vessels.  Hopefully, we get this sorted out soon because this is a crucial step in my recovery.

As of now, I am working on exercises that will hopefully allow me to stand on my own.  I am still very reliant on a cane when I walk around and even then, the damage to my balance mechanism means that I'm often dizzy.  This means, I am also incapable of going outside unless I am with someone monitoring me and making sure I do not collapse (every flight of stairs is an adventure!).

We are very careful about the amount of stress my brain is able to take and it was only recently that I have been allowed to read scholarly books again (as opposed to those of the comic kind).  By extension, this also means I can participate in the internet on a limited basis.
If stress=bad, I should probably avoid Youtube comments.  Photo: buzzfeed.com


A Word of Thanks
I'd like to extend my appreciation to all of you for your prayers and support.  I also want to thank those of you have taken your time to visit.  Each visit was special, especially for a guy who doesn't have the luxury of going out to see people.  I especially want to thank my parents and my brother for their incredible patience and support during this time.  Thank you.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the people who have accompanied me outside or driven me around in their cars--Wowie, Auntie Yollie, Doc Gibbs, Doc Clark, Doc Raposa, and Doc Bestre.  I'd also like to thank Nico for carrying me back to my room the times that I've collapsed.  Also, thank you to Lyn Don, Gideon, Wowie, Auntie Yollie, and the Montecastros for coming in every week to take out the garbage and wash dishes.  You have no idea how much of a difference that makes and how much I appreciate the gesture.  Sorry if there's anyone here that I missed, my memory can be fuzzy these days.

I'd also like to ask for everyone's patience as I trawl through my messages and email.  It might take me a while.
Everything online has a new look these days...
My actual Inbox. (Not shown: spam in the inbox )


--Kris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo bro,
I just didn't know you were going through all this. You are in my prayers man. Hang in there bro...

Maker