Sunday, August 5, 2007

Light

So I finally sat down this afternoon and took good long look at a piece that I stopped working on four months ago because it just wasn't going anywhere. I always felt it was missing an important ingredient to make it work: lighting. I just didn't know how to implement it.

Lighting has always been tricky for me and I've never fully understood it. I've always glossed over it and never really cared much about how much it adds to mood. I think I just might be starting to appreciate the difference after this afternoon, though:

Click to enlarge

Definitely a big improvement in just a few hours of playing around with light. It's still not done and it looks like mud 'cause I've been using only soft brushes so far and haven't begun to define the details, but it's a good step forward. Who knows? Maybe I'll finish this before StarCraft II comes out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh person who sits in darkness too long (i gotta go out more i thinks) , ya know what you could do to better appreciate the gift of light?

you could go out and paint a scenery/object in early morning, morning, midday, afternoon, erm evening and dusk/late evening and night.
like that imperssionist guy did ... as the lightings all different for each part of the day (and in different weathers)
or if you really are vampirish by nature and you loathe the sun with all your heart, you could just get a random object, put it in a dark room, and put a lamp somewhere near it and draw/paint/watever it. that way, after many tries with this, you can memorize lighting ... to some degree. so then, when you paint a pikachu or happy little hydralisk next time, it'll be less of a struggle.

i have more to add, but next time ... that is, after i could find a way to make my lectures make more sense. -_-;;;

Incognito said...

Wow - babe that's awesome. Really really great. It's very.. surreal.